I walked every street in Woy Woy

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Walk #21

(Walked on 4th of June 2005)

Pooped. Might have a little nap in a bit. No, better have a coffee instead. It's great to get the sleep but afternoon nap's just results in confuzzlement for the rest of the day.

Longer walk today than for a couple of weeks. Still haven't got that sodding pedometer to work out how far I'm walking but it was half as much again compared to than the last one and about twice the three before that.

Took one whole photo. Then I ran out of film. Sodom and Gomorrah!

Saw another paved lane. That's maybe three paved lanes I've come across now. I'm not walking them yet. Saving them up for when I walk all the lanes, paved and otherwise. Which will be after I've walked all the streets.

Walked to my walk today. That's new. I've walked back from a couple of walks so far but now I'm well enough to walk to them then walk them. Admittedly I had a rest in between. Picked up a film and had a slushie while I looked at the photos. Which were crap, incidentally. Whatever I was doing to improve my photographic skills I've stopped doing.

Today's walk involved a couple of cul-de-sacs, a wrongly named road that terminated at the local high school and a wriggly road.

The map I'm using is from 1990. It's a real estate agent's map so it shows all the schools and public wharfs but not anything that happened after 1990. I'm now carrying about with me a wide selection of marker pens for colouring my map in with. black for the previous walk, green for the current walk and parks, blue for creeks and storm drains and roads "subject to flooding", and brown for public buildings like schools, hospitals and Progress Halls. So today I coloured in two of the schools marked and left the third one un-coloured. There's a block of units there now. Maybe two or three years old and fitting exactly onto the shape of land marked "P.S." on the map.

Anyways, I had a sticky at that patch of storm drain and swamp at the back of the Woolies carpark and it does indeed connect to the footy oval and to a short cul-de-sac as well. It's mostly paperbarks and pines and a few soggy ferns. Plenty of bird life even at 11AM. Twittering away happily to themselves.

Came across an elderly dog that was corgi-shaped except for having a narrower chest but was terrier-sized. Rather deaf owner, tall and bent over with osteoporosis. Classic case of the dog walking the owner.

The streets I walked today were mainly 40s & 70s houses and units. The school that's still there is rather pleasant. Blue wooden buildings with only one younger addition and that was fairly tasteful. Particularly for something done in the 70s. The school sign said "established 1884" and I'm thinking the main buildings were 1900 - 1920.

One batch of new units looked interesting so I wandered in. It looked moderately big from the road but once I was in there it was a maze of tiny streets. A whole village on its own. A retirement village in fact, though it just looked like standard units from the outside. In the centre there was a two-storey building with a caretaker's and a nurse's flat on top and a residents' centre underneath. I could see a heated indoor pool and I'll bet you ten bob there's a small dance hall with a piano in the corner, a photo of the queen and a list of war dead on the wall. I had a bit of an explore round the place. It was very pleasantly built and laid out. Plenty of privacy and no visible bins and so on. But dead silent with curtain twitchers, too-perfect gardens and the whiff of fertiliser ripening in the sun.

Down on the corner of that street there was a couple of ambos talking a Dear Old Thing into getting in the ambulance. I don't go past there often but every single time there's an ambulance at that house. You'd think the Dear Old Thing would be used to getting into it by now. She'd be what Reynolds over at Random Reality calls a frequent flyer.

On the other corner there's a house known as the log cabin. It's made from split logs but has a normal tin roof (actually corrugated iron but that's neither here nor there). When it was being built everyone was afraid it was going to look rather wanky and precious but as soon as the roof went on and the wood greyed in the sun it looked quite pleasant and low-key.

At the end of that street is the foreshore park. It goes all the way from the train station to the mountain. Sat there on the sea wall for a bit under a clump of pines. The tide was out and there was a tiny mangrove alone in amongst the oyster-covered rocks. Over to my right was the mountain (actually a hill but we make the best of what we've got) and behind that a ridge. With a bushfire along the top of it. The smoke was mostly white so almost all of the burning stuff was trees. Will keep an eye out for it on the news tonight. Then Spit Bridge in the middle distance and St Huberts and Rileys Islands and Saratoga in front of me and Pelican Island to the left.

Coupla of sports fishing boats zoomed past, making a late start of it. A pelican floated past a foot above the water, sailed over a private jetty and kept going out of sight. Tiny crabs and sea worms plopping occasionally in the mud. Still water with the blue winter sky reflected in it. The far off buzz of the fire brigade's chopper over the fire and the gentle slap of lazy waves against the jetties.

Hunger got me back on feet eventually. The other half of my walk was pretty similar re the streetscapes. A couple of old wardrobes and a dead stove on the curb. Must be time for the council truck to come round. A hedge of poinsettia in full and glorious red bloom. Some roses with a good perfume.

It was about an hour's walk, not counting the time spent on the foreshore. The sun was warm and I was bright red and sweaty by the time I got to the bus station. My shins are a bit achy still but nothing major. They'll be right by tomorrow. I was never expecting this walkies thing to be painless anyways.

Next walk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home