I walked every street in Woy Woy

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Walk #45 - Gallipoli

(Walked 15th of August 2005)

Bloody windy today. Very strong gusts and getting stronger. The denudatas being stripped of flowers, the huge old gums on the Mountain bowing and tossing, leaves and twigs and stray newspapers flying through the air.

Had a nice long walk planned. But I was a bit tired and the wind was starting to drive dust into my eyes. So I finished halfway and nipped off home by bus.

It wasn't windy when I started out. Bit of a light breeze, high white streaks of cloud, the day warming up. I wondered if I'd be hot in my jumper. Wasn't long before I was glad of it.

Found a couple more tiny parks, noted some more lanes for a future Walk project, regarded the magpies with suspicion (it’s nearly swooping season), noticed the azaleas are coming out again but almost all the camellias have had theirs buds killed by the cold nights. The bottlebrushes and banksias haven't peaked yet and the pencil pines are showing their seed cases.

The first few streets had plenty of fifties and seventies houses among the thirties and forties ones. Not much in the last twenty years except sympathetic renovations.

I went past the unofficial used caryard again (cars for sale are parked outside the Council depot on the main road) and down the side of the primary school. A long building near the fence looked like it was built in the forties. Further along there was a much older school building. It had two classrooms and was about the size of a house. At first I thought it was but openings in the veranda rails showed it was classrooms and they were old enough to be the original rails. It was hard to date. There was no date on the school sign and there’s nothing online about the school’s history. I’m guessing when I say 1900 but I could easily be right.

The street beside the school is Waterloo. It was mostly seventies, with a few forties houses in original form or bricked-over in the seventies. Close to the Mountain the streets were older. Thirties and forties mainly with a few dozen pre-1920s houses lurking behind layers of extensions and renovations.

Warwick was a real hodgepodge of building eras, including a brand spanking new set of units still being sold. They weren't bad. White with grey roofs. The street trees were jacarandas. They make beautiful street trees when in bloom. Though they’re loathed with great passion and vehemence by those who hate leaves.

By the time I got round into Gallipoli, the wind was gusting hard and half the time I had my eyes closed due to the dust being whipped up. What I did see of Gallipoli was mainly forties and thirties with a sprinkle of the ubiquitous unattractive seventies houses.

At the end of Gallipoli I was halfway through my planned walk and dead tired. The extra flowering of plants all winter has been great but it's meant I've been suffering hayfever all winter. I've got a pretty mild case but it’s starting to take its toll in the form of headaches and tiredness and today's wind was playing hell with it. So I stopped at the end of Gallipoli and caught the bus home and now I'm thinking about having a nice afternoon nap.

Next post
Next walk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home